Perhaps it’s still too early into the new routine at Rodgers residence but I just wanted to give my dedicated readers a quick update since I know you are all beside yourself with anticipation to know if this new program with the children is working out so far.
Like all new routines or decisions instituted I had to of course update my Wasband (and I say that in the most loving and respectful of ways) on the new program so that we were both operating consistently and in lock- step (I’ve been called an optimist) and he was in full support. We discussed at length by phone (it’s better this way) the discipline problems we have each been experiencing and finished the conversation with a renewed commitment to bold action with our children.
I sat both children down the evening of the decree and went over the rules for posterity’s sake:
- No movies, sweets, i-phone games, or other “treats” during the week – these are “privileges” and can be earned based on great behavior.
- In order to gain access to the aforementioned tooth and mind rot you must delight your mother in every way possible including doing your chores without whining, coming down for your morning breakfast in a pleasant mood, and getting yourself ready and out the door without a fuss- same for bedtime.
- You will speak to each other and to your parents respectfully, and not hit, instigate, tease, call names or otherwise work to undermine each others every last move. Oh and NO COPY CAT bullshit ( I hate that!)
- You will eat what I put in front of you for dinner and you will eat it with gratitude- clearing your place and then making yourself scarce before bed would be looked favorably upon especially if it gives me time to regroup before the bedtime olympics routine that has given me PTSD over the years.
- Once your teeth are brushed and you are bathed (on bath night) you will get into YOUR OWN BED and you will quietly listen and not interrupt one hundred millon times as I read a story, and NO YOU MAY NOT have “just one more story” so don’t you dare ask
- You will not get out of bed eight to ten times collectively to ask me for
I also explained, each night before bed I will bestow upon you a star or a check (and god forbid you get an X ) in the vacant square that awaits beside your name. If you manage to get three stars in a row during a five day period it’s because you behaved beautifully and you may then claim your cherished movie, i-phone game play, sweet or treat on a weekend day or evening.
Day One: they each received a √ and I explained that although they had been better– that they had still whined considerably and fought with each other (as they raced each other to helpfully make my bed).
Day Two : In the late afternoon (everything was on track for a STAR chart evening) their daddy took over so that I could go celebrate my friends birthday. I left knowing that they were in great hands.
Day Three: This morning I learned from my precious children that last nights dinner out and then adventure to the bowling alley was a blast and that after they got home they watched James and the Giant Peach while snuggling with their Daddy. OH… and “he put a STAR on each of our squares” they beamed.
SWEAR TO GOD.